Blutonium, raw Blutonium Crystals to be exact, is the main focus of this game type. Both teams will be rushing after said material which is scattered around the map, which must then be deposited into one of the various Deployment Stations. Extraction requires a good mix of offense and defense, making it quite a tactical mode.
Extraction's main goal is to collect the Blutonium Crystals that are found throughout the map. At the start of the game one person from both teams will be assigned as the designated collector. Collectors are the only people that can actually pick up these crystals and deposit them, making them the most important person in the team. If you are chosen to be the collector you will be informed via an icon and message at the top of the screen, like so:
When you are the collector you will notice that the mini-map is now filled with lots of blue dots; these mark the Blutonium deposits that as a collector you must now chase. Make sure you target the clustered areas first for the best effect.
You can pick up these crystals by approaching them and pressing the "Pick Up" key, which is E by default. Your weapons are disabled while carrying these crystals, so make sure the coast is clear first!
As soon as you get a hold of a crystal several other icons will appear on the mini-map. These icons represent the Deployment Stations which you must now reach in order to deposit your crystal and score.
These stations are nothing more than a cart with a blue light up top, but this simple tool is the only way your team can score!
In order to deposit your crystal and score all you have to do is approach said stations; no need to press anything! The carts will also have an icon on top of them along with the world "Score" if you approach them while carrying a crystal, in classic "X marks the spot" fashion.
Winning in Extraction requires your team to reach 3000 points first or have the most points when the timer runs out. Each capture will award your team with 100 points meaning that you need 30 captures in total in order to win.
Both team's collectors are also tracked via icon and on the mini-map, revealing their position at all times. While it obviously works in your favor because it allows you to easily find the enemy collector, it also works against you because the enemies can do the same to you (or somebody else, if you currently aren't the collector!).
You can check the game's current score along with how much time is left by looking at the bottom left corner of the screen.
As a super-cute summary, here is what you need to do when you are the collector:
There are 2 roles you can fill in Extraction: the hunter and the protector. Each role requires a different loadout, so let's look at each one separately:
Your main goal here will be to kill the enemy's collector. Doing so will prevent the enemy team from scoring for a short duration, potentially putting your team in the lead. Your weapon choice here should basically be anything that suits your play style, but I recommend you put a long-range sniper weapon in one of your slots.
The reason for this is that you can use it to pick off enemy healers, headshot the Collector, and even explode Blutonium crystals either nearby or being carried by the Collector himself.
Disguise and Faux pickups are my equipment of choice when I design loadouts for this role. Disguise allows me to close in without being noticed, while Faux pickups can be dropped next to the carts that the enemy is using, dealing hefty damage once they inevitably touch them.
Here your aim is to keep your collector alive as long as possible. To this extent, your loadout should consist of 1 attack weapon and 1 defense weapon. Your damaging weapon should be preferably built to function at short to medium ranges, since enemies will frequently close in to kill the collector. Your support weapon can either be a healing gun or a buffing gun; both have their benefits!
Healing will obviously keep your collector alive and give him extra health through over-heal, while "The Juice" will give him more damage along with more movement speed, allowing him to kill oppressors more easily while also being able to score faster.
Any equipment that can support your collector is useful here. Turrets for example are a good choice because they add some valuable firepower while fending off attackers, while the Healing or Buffing Grenades will allow you to instantly boost your collector in a pinch.
You can (and should) of course keep loadouts for both of these roles so you can switch as needed during the game. The official Extraction tutorial video can be found here.
Tips & Tricks
Extraction is a complex game type so there are many little things you should know about. Give the following points a good look:
- Killing the enemy collector will prevent the opposing team from being able to score until the new collector is assigned.
- Shooting the raw Blutonium Crystals while on the floor will cause them to explode after a short duration, dealing damage to everyone in the vicinity. This also works if you shoot the crystal while it's being carried, killing the carrier if it explodes in his hands. If this happens to you make sure you throw the crystal (see below point).
- While carrying Blutonium as the collector, you can throw said Blutonium at the enemy by pressing the "Pick Up" key, which be default is E. This will deal a lot of damage, instantly killing the enemy if it's a good hit.
- Blutonium Crystals that are glowing have been shot by someone and are set to explode, so stay clear of them.
- If the enemy team is employing good defense tactics, then most likely their collector will be healed often. If this is the case and you are going after said collector, make sure you pop off the healer first or you will be fighting an un-winnable battle!
- If you instead choose to heal your own collector, make sure you keep him over-healed at all times.
- In a pre-made party try to allocate 1 person as the hunter and 2 persons as the defenders, while the other guy is obviously the collector.
I hope you guys found this article useful. If you have something to add please don't hesitate to use the comment system below.